Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Celebrity sightings

My sister Kellee has inspired me to reflect over the celebrities that I have met in my life. (In case you haven't read her blog--she ran into Barak Obama twice in the elevator in her highrise apartment.). I haven't met many, but here's the comprehensive list, in complete random order as they come to me:

1. Rick Trevino, country singer. Wendy Gilman Zeledon and I ran into him in the DFW airport on our way to St. Louis for a conference. For those of you who know Wendy, she went right up to him, told him who we were, and then asked for his autograph.

Living in Houston, I had friends with season tickets to all the pro sports games, so we always got to meet the players. Since I was a HUGE fan of these people and their teams, these people were celebrities to me, and I was so excited to meet them!
2. Houston Rockets players: Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, Robert Horry (met him in the Hard Rock Cafe--I have a crush on this guy). Can't think of the rest, but I know there were plenty.

3. Houston Oilers players: Warren Moon, Ray Childress, Cody Lambert

4. Houston Astros players: Alan Ashby, Glenn Davis...I'm sure there are others.

5. When my family went to California when I was in the 9th grade, we went to Hollywood Church of Christ and spotted Weird Al Yankovich in the pews. Hilarious!

6. George Bush--I met him while he was governor and I was a senior at ACU. He came and spoke during chapel, and I went up afterwards and met him.

7. Governor Rick Perry--I went to this event with my dad right after I graduated from college and met him there. He sure is handsome in person!

8. When Shane and I went to visit my dad in D.C., we got to see all the senators and representatives when we sat in on a joint session of congress, including Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, Tom Delay, and others.

9. Shane and I walked right past Howard Dean outside the Capitol. He sure is short.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm curious: What famous person(s) have you met or spotted?

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I loved Rick Trevino. What ever happened to him?

I haven't seen many. Here are the couple I can think of right now:

1. In high school, I was in New York visiting my dad and we were shopping and I saw this cute blonde, can't remember her real name, she plays "Jennifer" on Days of Our Lives. On that same visit we saw Sonny Bono in a hotel lobby.

2. After college, I went to New York again and was a guest on the Sally Jessie show and I stood up and talked and answered a question. Does that count?

3. A few years ago, my husbands good friend got married. Jason was in the wedding so we went to the rehersal dinner. A cousin of the groom lives in California and was dating Lacey Chabert (Claudia from Party of Five) Wow, has she grown up. I sat next to her at the dinner and we even went to Gilligan's in Arlington after to hang out. She was really quiet and sweet. Of course I didn't have my camera- who would have thought a celeb would be there? I had some random girl that was also there take our picture. I gave her my address and everything and I NEVER got that picture with Lacey. Rats!

I think that's about it!

Kellee said...

Don't forget about The New Kids on The Block that we met in Disney World!! I know, I was obsessed with them when I was little so I remember this very clearly--hysterical!

Didn't you also meet "Peter" from Days of our Lives? I think you got his autograph on a picture or something, right?

I haven't met many famous people in my life but I did meet George Bush Sr. at that wedding Dad performed and got my picture with him--what is it with me and politicians?!? I've also met Kelly Ripa during a commercial at her show. I think that's about it for me :)

Unknown said...

Oh, yes, the infamous New Kids on the Block. We oohed and ahhed over them when we met them.

And you're right about Peter Blake, too. Anne Stovall and I met him in the Mall of Abilene. He was sooo cute!

Marcia said...

You've met a lot of famous people! I only have two. Three years ago at aroung mile 16 during my first marathon we saw some men in suits on the side of Memorial. When we got closer, we saw that they were secret service men accompanying George Bush Sr. He was out in the 40 degree weather supporting us and shaking every runner's hand that stopped.
This year I got to meet Roger Clemens at the marathon expo. He commended me on running a marathon. It meant a lot to me coming from an athlete of his level. I'm not sure if I would be so exited to meet him now that he left the Astros.

Laura Scott said...

I saw Mr. T on the River Walk in San Antonio one year....Chains and all!