Friday, March 30, 2007

Happy 30th Birthday, honey!

Since Shane posted 30 reasons he's glad he's turning 30, I'm going to post a mostly humorous list of 30 things I love/like/appreciate/admire/adore about Shane.

Here goes:

1. His wonderful dancing moves. They are so good that I think he can wind up on Dancing with the Stars. Why that show? Because Shane is as much of a star as the rest of them, so why not?!!
2. His beautiful blue-green eyes (wink wink) that sparkle with laughter almost all of the time.
3. His friendship. Shane is so open with me, and I value his friendship more than ever. He is my best friend, heart and soul.
4. His sense of humor. He is so funny, especially when he’s not trying to be. He makes me laugh all the time, and I am so grateful for that.
5. His loyalty. Shane is the most loyal person I have ever met. He is loyal to me, my family, his family, his church, the church, his friends, etc., etc. If you know Shane, you will realize this. He loves his people. I mean just look how loyal he is to the Texas Longhorns and the Houston Oilers, one place that he never even attended and the other that has been in Tennessee for over 10 years.
6. That he allows me to watch reality TV shows and game shows. I know I’m a college professor and according to most of my colleagues, I’m supposed to be “above” that, but there’s just something about those shows that draws me in. American Idol. Survivor. The Amazing Race. Deal or No Deal. 1 Vs. 100. Etc. Etc. Not only does he let me watch them without giving me too hard of a time, but he watches them with me! Sorry if I’m ruining your image, honey, but you know it’s true!
7. That he provides for me and our family and that he does so happily and lovingly.
8. The way he is with Elizabeth. He is the most wonderful daddy ever, and Elizabeth lets him know this all the time. From the very beginning, he has changed diapers, fed her, held her, rocked her (well, not really—Elizabeth does not like to cuddle!), tended to Elizabeth’s needs, cleaned up the peas and carrots all over the floor at the end of every meal, bathed Elizabeth (I think I’ve bathed her less than 30 times!); prepared dinner for Elizabeth, but most of all, the way he just loves that little girl. Elizabeth loves her daddy so much now, but she loves him more every day. I love to see them together.
9. The food you cook! Like I said in an earlier post, Shane is an AMAZING cook. It may not be the healthiest stuff to put in my body, but at least I get to enjoy it. We like to tease that there are no skinny cooks.
10. His passion for ministry and for wanting to change the world. This aspect of our life isn’t really an aspect; it’s our whole life. It encompasses everything we do, think, and believe. And I’m so glad to be married to a minister where this “aspect” is the reality. Where every day we love, learn, grow, cry, and dream about the way God is working in our lives and the lives of others.
11. He’s so handsome. I never thought I would marry such a good-looking man. Boy did I get lucky!
12. His brain. Though am very attracted to his good looks, his brain is also appealing and sexy. I love it when we get into deep, analytical discussions. I bet someone observing us would think we were nerds, but we’re both OK with that. We ARE nerds!
13. That he will play games with me, even when he doesn’t want to!
14. That I can make him smile when he is grumpy, irritated, or frustrated.
15. That he moved all the way to Godforsaken Kentucky (not really, but at the time he thought so) so that I could go to school and earn my Ph.D. What sacrifices he made then (and still makes now).
16. That he submits to me, as Christ does to the church, and that he gently reminds me to do the same.
17. That he bucks and challenges societal systems that don't make much sense to him. tc.).
18. That he is the BEST preacher ever. I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life listening to him and learning from his wisdom.
19. That he has become just as obsessed (if not more) with Diet Coke than me.
20. That he does the right thing—no matter what.
21. His silliness. Shane can cut up with the best of them.
22. He’s as stubborn as I am, and we still manage just fine.
23. He’s the best giver of massages and back scratches (both of which I have “needed” desperately, even since I was little). Should I also say that I like it that he doesn’t like to receive massages? That means that I can get, get, get, and not have to give, give, give. But that’s selfish of me so I’ll stop.
24. That one day he’s going to be a doctor, too. No, not the “real” kind…that would mean that we actually had some money to spare. But he will be a doctor and we will be a “paradox” (pair of docs). Get it?!!
25. That he will travel with me to all parts of the country (and world) since traveling is one of my “hobbies.”
26. That even when I’m gone, he still sleeps with the allergy filter on.
27. The way he loves animals but insists that we will NEVER have a pet. (We’ll see about that!)
28. That he does really good imitations of Sean Connery and Bill Clinton but cannot for the life of him figure out how to do an imitation of a woman (He tries, but fails miserably).
29. That he makes the best homemade ice cream, with mix-ins and the like. Yum-yum.
30. That he loves me, cherishes me, and daily lives out the vows we took almost five years ago.

Happy birthday, Shane. May we enjoy many more years together.

4 comments:

Anita said...

Oh Kara! I am so glad that Shane likes to scratch your back. I remember so many times you asking me to do that. Riding in the car from the elementary campus to the secondary campus. That just really made me laugh and remember all the fun and sometimes not so fun times we had growing up!

Shelly said...

Awww! So sweet to see how much you love him! I'm so thankful God brought the 2 of you together. Doesn't it feel like yesterday we were sitting on my porch in college late one night talking about how we couldn't WAIT to meet our husbands?! And how weird it would be if we already knew them! Ha ha! Elizabeth is PRECIOUS! We still pray for her. Hayley will randomly say, "Elizabeth is sick. We need to pray for her." (In a really sad voice.) We need to get together w/ y'all again before too long so Hayley can see that Elizabeth is in fact NOT still sick! We're going on 4 months now. You'd think she would move on, ya know? Love you!

Marcia said...

Kara you are sooo luck if Anita scratched your back. She liked to get me to scratch hers and then fall asleep before returning the favor. I've been enjoying reading your blog in secret for a while. Elizabeth is too cute!

Unknown said...

Anita and Marcia--
You two are the best!! Anita, I really don't remember asking you to scratch my back, although I wouldn't put it past me. I used to ask everyone--anyone--to do that. I do remember those rides from the old campus to the new. Great memories there.

Shelly--
We will HAVE to get together soon. That is soooo sweet about Hayley still praying for Elizabeth. What a sweet heart she has and how blessed you are to have such a sensitive and caring young daughter. I love you!