Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Sugarless Days

I've gone four days without sugar. Last night was the first time I was really tempted by sugar, or should I say, chocolate?!! I was watching TV and saw a commercial for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (my favorite!!), and they looked delicious. But I'm doing all right, I guess. I'm actually fasting from sugar right now, not really dieting (although I get really down about my weight...I can't seem to lose that baby weight, no matter what I do--sigh!--but that's for a-whole-nother post!). And the fasting aspect of it is really cool. I've been praying more and reflecting more, and I am amazed at how God takes the urge away. Really, it's like nothing I've ever experienced before. I've given up things before (like food), mainly during Lent for the past several years, but I turned to other things rather than to prayer. This time has been really different. I'm trying to go 30 days without sugar. It's going to be really hard this weekend when I go to my nephew Barrett's birthday. My sister Kim makes the BEST cakes!! And then next wedding I'll have to pass up the chocolate covered strawberries at my friend Katie's wedding (yikes!). I'll just have to pray, pray, pray!

I'm not really sure why I decided to do this fast. Well, I take that back. I think I know what got me thinking about it: Last week we stayed with our friends Shelly and Tra and they had participated in a "Daniel Fast" with their entire church. (There's a lot of stuff online about it if you're interested--basically all you eat are fruits and veggies for 30 days--the same as Daniel in the Bible did. No meats. No sugars. No processed foods. Wow! Maybe I'll try that one in June when Shane goes to Abilene for two weeks for school. He refuses to eat any meal without meat!). Anyway, the premise seemed really cool and so I wanted to try it. I don't have a physical community of believers to share this with me like they did (and like I've heard you really need if you are going to succeed), but I'm hoping that you will pray for me and be a part of my "Community of Supporters," "COS," if you will so that I, too, can fulfill my goal to fast from sugar for 30 days. I'll keep you posted on my progress (and the temptations!).

One thing I'm not sure about is if I can have yogurt or sweeteners like Splenda. Is that sort of sugar off-limits?

7 comments:

mom23 said...

That is wonderful! After last week; I'm thinking we need to go back on South Beach. Ugh!

Fasting is so awesome and special. There are many ways to do it and many different people to tell you how you should do different ones. If this is the one that you have chosen, then God bless you for it and be prepared to grow deeper in your relationship with Christ in a whole new way. Fasting is a precious sacrifice that He will always bless.

As for the splenda, yogurt thing. My opinion is this: This is your sacrifice to God. I believe that it is easy to get very legalistic in fasting (figures, we can do it with anything, can't we!)and the right/wrong things to do. You decide what will be allowed and not allowed and ask the Lord to bless that. He will honor the sacrifice you give him whether there is yogurt or no yogurt, Splenda or no splenda. My only cautionary advice is that if you do add sweeteners back in then you will increase the desire for more sweets. So its up to you.

Love and hugs, Tracy

Jennifer said...

Hey Kara, I'm so glad you found me! Of course I remember you. I think I had to memorize everything about you during pledging! Wow, that sure seems like forever ago. When I have some time I will read through some of your posts to try to catch up on what you have been up to. I need to take H to preschool- last day! Have a great day!

Jennifer

Kim said...

Well, I just bought some goodies for Friday afternoon when you are here, but maybe I'll get some sugerless treats so you won't be tempted. Good for you that you are fasting and praying. I know it will be a tough challenge, but you can do it. I hope that you and others are blessed through this.

Kellee said...

WOW--very impressive. No Diet Coke? This whole process definitely takes a lot of discipline and determination, but I know you can do it. How neat to spend your time praying instead of "eating sugar". Stay strong!! Love you lots.

Shelly said...

How cool that you're doing this! And you CAN do it. By the way---the Daniel Fast was only 21 days. 30 days is a LONG time. I think it's neat that you are doing this on your own. I know you'll be blessed. I allowed myself one splenda a day in my hot tea at night. But I like what Tracy said about it---I'll be praying for you this month! It was so fun getting to be w/ you guys! Short and sweet!
love you--

Leigh said...

Wow--I'm impressed with your intestinal fortitude! I would definitely have a rough time staying off sugar, although I've read many times that if you cut it out of your diet, you'll lose an appetite for it altogether.

Sorry we'll miss you at Barrett's party this weekend; hopefully we'll see you in Houston this summer? Take care--
Leigh

Unknown said...

Tracy-Those are really good points about legalism. It can just pop up in all SORTS of places, can't it?!! Thanks for the reminder.

Jennifer-Thanks for stopping by!

Shelly-21 days sounds A LOT more doable with the sugar thing. Too bad I already committed to 30! ;)

Kim-No worries about the sweets tomorrow. Shane and Elizabeth will eat them up!

Kellee-Hmm. Diet Coke? Hadn't thought about the sugar in that. I guess I am drinking some sugar; I just have to revise it somewhat! I did go for 4 months without it, though, when I was pregnant with Elizabeth. And then the doctor said it was fine, so I quickly got back into my daily drinking habits!

Thanks to all of you for your prayers!