Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Let's give it to him!

This horrific event at Virginia Tech has deeply affected me. Perhaps it's because I, too, work at a university and know what a university atmosphere is like. The vibrancy and energy is contagious and makes college campuses such great places to be. And the relationships that I have with my students is so special and unique. How could someone have threatened that? Frankly, I'm quite angry at the killer (who you will note happened to be an English major). Of course, I am asking all the "why?" questions, but more than that I saddened that someone would do that to other people. I've heard and read a lot about this incident and noticed that all these people are calling in to radio shows and asking who's to blame. I've heard the incident blamed on the lack of prayer in school or taking God out of the classroom. I've also heard it blamed on the influences of video games and violent TV and movies. And, of course, I've heard the arguments against guns and having more gun control. In my mind, it didn't happen because of any of these reasons. This guy did not choose to do this because of the decaying American society and our values or because he was able to buy a gun or because he wasn't forced to listen to a prayer in school. All I keep thinking (and crying about and screaming out loud about and hurtin about) is that this guy needed the Lord. He needed the Lord! And we as Christians (me as a Christian) would do well to remember as we go about our days that people need the LORD!

People need the LORD! So, let's give Him to them.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Well said. So very true. He is the only solution to all of this craziness in our world.

Kim said...

All that you said is so true. How sad it is when people do not know Him or believe that He gives meaning to life.

Kellee said...

I've been thinking about you a lot this week after all this with VT since you teach on a college campus and interact with students on a daily basis. Thanks for your post--very true what you said. It is so sad what this guy did and even more sad when people don't know Jesus. Its our responsibility to show Jesus to as many people as we can, which is a huge responsibility as Christians.

Beth said...

Well put. I was so outraged by this and I am still asking why, why, why? Like you, I really appreciate my students and the knowledge we exchange on a daily basis, and it is so upsetting that this could be disrupted in such a violent way.