Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Friday Reflections

I always love Easter weekend. It's a time to reflect about Jesus' life, death, and life again, knowing that many others around the world are doing the same. Growing up, I didn't spend much time thinking about Easter (the death and resurrection of Jesus), although I did attend a sunrise service once in high school. I was more interested in the Easter egg hunt, hoping I would be the one to find the Golden Egg this year, the colorful Sunday dresses, and the lovely, and BIG, church hats. I enjoy Easter; it means a lot of things to me--bluebonnets, candy, parks, egg hunts, green, memories, family, love, sacrifice, death and resurrection.

I was going to take Elizabeth to Waco for an egg hunt today, but I've changed my mind. Not only is it a little chilly, but it's also Good Friday, and I don't know if I want to engage in that type of celebrating today. Maybe tomorrow, but not today. Have you ever wondered why they call it "Good Friday"? I'm not really sure. Did the people who put Jesus to death come up with that name? (If any of you know the origin to this name, I would love to hear about it.) I wish our church had a Good Friday service (although I'm not sure what many of our members would think about that--who knows? Maybe they would like it. They often surprise us.). I would like to attend one tonight. Maybe I will. When we were living in Kentucky, Shane and I attended a Good Friday service at a Catholic church. While there were some aspects of the service that were a little strange to me (kissing the cross, for instance), I really enjoyed the quiet, reflective service. There wasn't much rejoicing and celebrating going on, only serene contemplation over the death of Jesus, one that occurred on a Friday so long ago. The story of the death of Jesus was read, and we all left with our heads bowed. There was no talk of resurrection or life; I wondered what it must have been like to be a follower of Jesus during that time. How SAD these people must have been. Perhaps they were angry at the injustice. Or maybe they even questioned God and asked "Why?".

I hope that today we will all spend some time reflecting on Jesus' death: what it meant then, what it means now, what that day felt like for the followers of Jesus, and what it feels like for today's followers of Jesus. Perhaps reflecting on Jesus' death allows us to learn more about him...about God...and about ourselves.

5 comments:

Phillips Family said...

Yeah, I also don't get the whole Easter Egg hunt during Sunday School thing.

I enjoy the fun of easter eggs, candy, the easter bunny, etc. but I like to keep such things apart from the actual meaning of Easter.

BTW, I commented on your previous post as well.

Heather said...

So true! We have a Good Friday service at our church and you are right, there is not much good that took place on Friday. I am so thankful for the sobering service because it causes us to anticipate the celebration of Sunday!


Oh, I also just read the article your dad wrote and I almost cried. I didn't know you had speech trouble when you were younger--and look at you now.

You are and always have been amazing.

Unknown said...

I've seen a couple of references to the "Good" being a designation that the crucifixion was part of the most good ever performed. Also that "God's Friday" became "Good Friday" over time (similar to how "God Be With You" became Good-Bye).

I kind of doubt that, though, because (according to Wikipedia), only the English and Dutch languages call it Good Friday. Other languages use Big Friday (Israel!), Friday of Lamentation (Germans tend to focus on the dour), High Friday, Passion Friday, Great Friday, Holy Friday, Long Friday, or, in China, Jesus' Crucifixion Day. Anyway the Wikipedia entry is interesting but admits it doesn't have enough sources to guarantee accuracy.

Hope that helps.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Charles. That explanation makes more sense. English! We always want our own way of saying/knowing something, don't we?!!

Kellee said...

On Friday, I was downtown with Laura and Tara and we saw a big group of people gathered around a cross reflecting on the death of Jesus. It was very moving for me to witness that--I'm with you, sometimes its easy to forget the true meaning behind the holiday and focus on what I'm going to wear to church or what candy to put out. Thanks for this post; it encourages me. Love you!