Friday, September 21, 2007

Living this crazy life

This week has been CRAZY.

Elizabeth and I went to Houston this weekend for two birthday celebrations--my sister's and dad's on one night and my niece Shaelyn's on another. Friday, E and I made it to Houston in time to visit my mom at her school. She's beginning her second year at public school and last year since I taught on Friday, I was never able to get away. This semester, though, Friday is my day home with Elizabeth so we got to leave early and make it to her school in time to get the tour, meet the other teachers, and see her classroom. It's so cute how all those first-graders just doted on Elizabeth. They seem to like feeling "big" around somebody. Maybe that's why so many kids that age love younger kids. It's cute.

After that, I took Elizabeth to the park in my parent's neighborhood (the same one I used to go to as a little girl). It's a great playground with really safe equipment and completely shaded by pine trees. Elizabeth loved it. Then we went to my parent's house and waited for the others to arrive.

We ended up having a really good weekend with all the family (sans Anthony and Shane--missed you guys!). Shane couldn't come because Shaelyn's birthday was on Sunday and well, Shane, is a little busy on that day. Elizabeth loves playing with her cousins: "Bettitt (Barrett), "Bookin' (Brooklyn), Jackson, and Shaelyn.

E and I headed back to Gatesville on Sunday after the party. She slept most of the way (whew!) and was quite disappointed (and a little distraught) when we got home and Daddy was not here. He had left for Abilene earlier in the day for ACU's Lectureship. So, it was me and Elizabeth until Wednesday when he got back home. Only, it wasn't that simple. Elizabeth ended up getting a "fever virus" on Monday evening and was running a fever of 103. She and I were up most of the night on Monday, and since she couldn't go to the babysitter's on Tuesday, I cancelled my classes and stayed home with her. This was the first time I had to cancel my classes, but it's nice to have a flexible job so that I can do so. Then on Wednesday, I got sick with a headache and pain in my left side, which has lasted through today. I'm going to the doctor next week for this, so we'll see what's going on there. I hope I get to feeling better soon because Shane was just given tickets to the Longhorns game this weekend and we're planning on going. We haven't been since we were dating (when he had season tickets) and are excited to see Colt McCoy live in action. Granbarry is going to hang with our girl. Granna left this week for Russia and will be gone for two months. Elizabeth isn't going to understand why her Granna isn't there when we get to their house. Earlier this week, she said, "I go to 'Gana's' house," and I told her, "Granna is leaving for Russia and will be gone for two months. We're going to miss her, aren't we?" She responded, "She needs to take me with her!" And I said, "But Mommy and Daddy will miss you if you are gone for two months. That's a long time to be away." She wasn't sure what to say. At least it was a dilemma for her and she didn't just say, "I go with her" (Because we know how much she LOVES her Granna!).

2 comments:

Anita said...

Abby had the fever virus this week, too. I stayed home Tues. and Clay stayed home Wed. It does make for crazy days when one of them is sick. Have a fun weekend.

Kim said...

Sorry that you and Elizabeth were feeling under the weather. Glad everyone seems better. It was great to see ya'll last weekend. Have a good time at the game!