Friday, June 23, 2006

Houstonians

It's been 12 years since I graduated from high school. 12 years! It's hard to believe it's been that long. That's as long as I was in school from first grade through twelfth, years that seemed to go inordinately slow at the time but that I didn't want to go fast either. I guess being back in Houston makes me think about growing up--school and church, yes--but mostly my friends who I met through these places. We went to church on Wednesday night when I got in at Bammel CofC (the church I grew up in, also affiliated with the school I attended, Northland Christian). I don't get to go to church here very often since I married a preacher and usually have to go back so he can work. It was nice to see a lot of old friends and some new ones, too. I even got to see my 10th-and 11th-grade English teacher, Chris Norwood, one of my all-time favorite teachers who was partly responsible for my interest in literature and writing. He moved to Tennessee after I graduated and has recently returned back to Northland to teach. His daughter Katie was baptized that night after church, and they were really excited about that. Congratulations to you. I also saw the mother of a good friend of mine who died in a car wreck after my senior year in high school. I can't believe it's been 12 years since dear Ally died. She was a year older than me (my sister Kim's age) and had finished her freshman year at Baylor when she fell asleep at the wheel and passed away. The anniversary of her death is next week, and I always think about and pray for her family during this time. Her experiences at Baylor were all I really knew about Baylor until recently when my interest grew deeper. I wonder what she would be like if she were alive today. I miss her a great deal. I also saw little Mallory Leigh Mitchen who is all grown up now and just finished her first year at ACU. I used to push her around her stroller at Disney World and now she's at my alma mater. What a beautiful woman she has become, inside and out. I also saw my sort-of in-laws (the Reaves and the Shoemakers). I say they are my "sort-of-in-laws" because both of my sisters (and my brother, too, actually) married people from the church we grew up in. Shane is the odd one out here. It seems like we're all related in a weird sort of way. Bob (Derek's dad) played with Elizabeth while she climbed all over the pulpit in the chapel. And Laura, Tara, and Tina (Anthony's sisters and Mom) just oohed and aahed over Elizabeth like they wanted their own little niece to cherish. They're going to be two wonderful aunts (and mothers) someday. I also spoke with a dear mentor of mine, Bobby Stephen, whose wisdom, gentle spirit, and kind heart has made such an impact on my own. It's sweet to see old friends.

Thursday, Mom, Elizabeth, and I got to go hear my cousin Lisa speak to the 39ers at Memorial Church of Christ where my grandparents (and my aunt Jayne) are members. Lisa is an occupational therapist, and she told all about how seniors should take caution to prevent broken bones. The whole talk was very interesting. Too bad I only got to hear the first 30 minutes of it since Elizabeth was chattering very LOUDLY, and so we went into a separate room and played.

Dad got in from Washington this afternoon and took us to eat delicious Mexican food at Pappasito's. Yum!! We don't have that type of food in Gatesville (no offense to El Tapatio!). Elizabeth loves spending time with Nana and Teddy. The Astros are playing the White Sox this weekend. Hopefully, these games will go better for the Astros than the World Series did. Kellee and Anthony live in Chicago. I wonder if they're going to any of the games. If so, you'd better be cheering for the H-town team! :) We have another big day tomorrow, but I can't write it here yet because it's a surprise for someone. After that, Elizabeth and I are headed home to see Shane. Elizabeth has only seen him 2 days out of 15, and we are missing him as bad as he is missing us.

On a different note: My mom is leaving Northland Christian, the school she has taught at for over 20 years, to teach in public schools closer to home and for other reasons. Mom, they are going to miss you so much. It's the end of an era. You have been a wonderful Christian influence on hundreds of kids over all these years. Thanks for driving that 45 minutes twice a day for this long, especially when all of us 4 kids were attending there. You made HUGE sacrifices for us so that we could go there. I know I'm speaking for Kim, Kurt, and Kellee when I say this: We are so proud of you! We love you.

I end this note somewhat melancholy and nostalgic but always forward-looking and hopeful. Thank you, God, for the blessings of family. Have a wonderful evening blog-readers. Take some time to say thanks for those you love.

Kara

6 comments:

Shelly said...

What a sweet time for you! I include you on my list when I thank God for the people I love! Love you--

Chesley said...

I had know idea your mom was going to public school! It is so amazing how fast time goes by. I just love reading your blog Kara. It really makes me think about things. Talking about 12 years going so fast. Our sweet babies will be 12 before we know it:(

Anonymous said...

Kara,
Look forward to meeing you and Shane, as my wife, Shirley, and I will be making our home in Gatesville soon.
David

Heather said...

Reading this made me cry. Since my parents are no longer in Houston I have no reason to return, and therefore no opportunity to see the faces of the people you mentioned. (I would love to give "Mr. Norwood" a great big hug!!!)
On a different note, there is no doubt a black cloud of mourning over NCS as your Mom leaves. I can't imagine a school year start without her. I too thank her for the many years of service she has given.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
Heather

angie c said...

Good stuff. I loved my 1 year at Northland and wish I could have had more. I saw Lisa at Bammell last year. I always forget that you guys are cousins! I think that's fun that someone I was in youth group with was speaking to the 39ers. I never get over to Memorial anymore. Glad you are doing well!
kevin

Anonymous said...

Kara,
Thank you for your sweet words. I can't believe I have been at Northland 20 years. Time flies when you are having fun. I am so proud of you!
Heather, thanks for your kind comments.
Love your babies bunches because they grow too fast!!