Tuesday, June 20, 2006

His left foot

Shane has this habit when he is/we are trying to go to sleep of tapping his left foot several times on the mattress. This may not seem like a big deal, but to someone who sleeps in the same bed with this tapping left foot, it can be rather annoying and sleep prohibitive. Since we don’t have one of those beds where if you put a glass of water on the corner of it it won’t spill (like they advertise on those silly commercials with the woman jumping on the bed in her lingerie), I typically ask him to stop or I cover my foot over his foot. He usually apologizes, we laugh, and then we go to sleep with (hopefully) no more bed tapping.


Around 10:30 tonight, long after Elizabeth had gone to sleep, I went in to check on my little girl as I always do. As I gazed down at her, I thought to myself, “She’s the most precious thing in the world.” Then, suddenly, as I stared down at her, her foot started tapping that same recognizable beat. I Immediately came out of my daydreaming about my wonderful daughter to be consciously aware of her foot tapping five times in a row, her left foot. I immediately had to call Shane to share this news with him.


Who knew that such a trait would be genetic? It’s funny how we pass on interesting quirks about ourselves to our children, ones we didn’t even know we had until we got married and had such qualities pointed out to us. May your quirks flourish as Shane has in future generations of children. Only time will tell which of my quirks she will inherit. Unfortunately, she has quite a few in the mix!

I’ve taken a lot of pictures of Elizabeth these past two weeks with Shane gone (he’s in Abilene for his D.Min). I even took video of her, which we haven't done in months, unfortunately. Here are some of the things she has been up to:

Sporting a Mohawk
Trying on a cowboy hat in Wal-Mart
Surfing on the high chair tray Strolling in our backyard with Uncle ZachKissin' Mama

Sweeping the kitchen floor

Have a happy day!


8 comments:

Phillips Family said...

Tobe sticks his tongue out when concentrating and Isaac does the same thing! I love how Elizabeth taps her foot, however you might want to mention this to the future groom at her rehearsal dinner one day!

Heather said...

That story is precious and so is your daughter. Who would have thought. . .

Heather said...

I just realized that "comment" didn't sound right. I was thinking back over the years and who would have thought you and I would both be "all grown-up" and mothers. I hope to meet Elizabeth soon.
H

angie c said...

Hey Kara! I'm so glad I found your blog! So many people have them and it's such fun to keep up with everyone. Hope you are well and we look forward to reading about your family.
kevin and angie conway

Chesley said...

I love the pictures of Elizabeth. I cracked up at the one of her with a mohawk. It's so great! I am sure you know about the Walton rocking. You know back and forth in the sitting position. I think Cody has it the worst of all the boys but I will say I haven't noticed it as much lately. I haven't noticed it in Garrett yet either so this is good. You know when they rock in the car it can really make you feel sick!

Chesley said...

I forgot to say that Elizabeth has the most BEAUTIFUL blue eyes!!! I just love them!

Unknown said...

Ches--
Oh, yes. The "Walton rock" is famous. Does Cody still do it? I remember we'd be sitting in church, or on the couch, or in the car, or WHEREVER! and feel the seat squishing in and out when those Walton boys were around.

Heather--
Thanks for clarifying!!

Lynley--
I'll have to warn the groom! Great idea.

Angie--
Great to hear from you. Tell Kevin hello from me.

Jason O'Quinn - PLG said...

Kara-

You mean Shane has intresting quirks? Huh.

Jason O'Q