Friday, July 07, 2006

“Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.”

Isn’t that how Muhammed Ali’s famous quote goes? Well, today, I would say, “Stung by a wasp and floated, danced, and jumped like a butterfly.” I walked out my front door and was met by two wasps, one went for my neck and the other found my cheek bone. Apparently they found a home in the wreath hanging on our front door and when I opened the door, I startled them from their restful slumber. Ouchie! I ran inside and iced it up. Luckily, the stingers didn't break off, so it just took some Advil and some time for me to feel better. I'm just glad Elizabeth wasn't with me.

*******************

I also got a call today from the English department at Baylor saying that my office was open for me to move in. The call came at a perfect time...when Elizabeth is gone. I had already boxed up most of my books, and so we loaded them up in the car and off we went to Waco. Once we got to Baylor and figured out where to park without getting towed, we started unloading. Dear sweet Shane trekked back and forth to the car in the HOT and HUMID weather loading up the dolly with my books. He worked in the heat while I worked in the air-conditioned office, unpacking the books and loading them on the shelves. I had it easy compared to him! I've been told that the offices are given in order of rank, and it's obvious I'm a newbie from the location, size, and look of my office: I'm on the 4th floor up in the raptures (5th actually, but there's a ground level, so they call it the 4th). I'll be getting a lot of exercise come August! I also have a window (as you can see in the first photo), but it's located at an angle on the ceiling so that it's more like a skylight than a window. I can only see the clouds, none of the beautiful Baylor campus. Oh well. My time will come, hopefully. But really, it's a very nice office. Spacious and cozy with a whole wall of bookshelves, every teacher's dream! Here are some pics from the move-in day. They even have my nameplate up!! "Dr. Kara Poe Alexander"...that sounds so official! Ha!

I also want to wish congratulations to my good friend, Beth, or should I say "Dr. Powell"??!! Way to go, friend. I knew you'd do it. 4 years of work has finally paid off. Congrats (from me and Shane).


1 comment:

Holly O'Quinn said...

Congrats on the great office. You do look very official!