Friday, October 26, 2007

The moon over Gatesville

Elizabeth has become fascinated with the moon and so I wanted to write down a few of the things she has said about this mysterious object:

1. We went to Dallas a few weeks ago and when we got out of the car one night, she said, "Where is the moon? I can't see it." I responded by telling her that sometimes during the month we can't see the moon (I didn't use the term "new moon"--that would have really confused her). Then she said, "Yeah. We'll see the moon again when we go back home. It's not here, but it's at home." Apparently, the moon can only be over Gatesville--one place at a time.

2. We were looking at the moon while we were driving home last night and Elizabeth said, "Mama, I want to drive our car up to the moon and touch it."

3. We were in Waco recently and Elizabeth saw the moon before she got into the car (Always excitement in her book!). When we got into the car, she got so upset (i.e., threw a fit) because she did not want to leave the moon. She still does not understand that the moon can be seen from both Waco AND Gatesville.

4. She always tells the moon "Good night" every time we get out of our car and come inside. Since we don't have a garage at the apartment, she gets to see the moon more often than when we would drive straight into the garage.

I like how much she talks about this object that I typically don't think twice about. It's nice to see things afresh through the eyes of children.

2 comments:

Shane Alexander said...

She's looney.

Karena said...

1nbowsraLooney? No way. She is sensitive, in touch with God's creation and definately a prodigy philosopher. I had a child who was quite taken with the moon...and that's how he has turned out...

I miss you all.

Love, Mom