Saturday, February 14, 2009

What I love

So, after reading my sister Kellee’s blog post today about LOVE, I’ve decided to end my hiatus from blogging and make a post similar to hers about some of the loves in my life at this moment in time.

Here are some things I LOVE:
1. I LOVE my husband. After six plus years of marriage, he is still the man I love. Even though we are different people now than we were then, we have grown together in this journey. Going into this marriage at 25 years old—an independent and strong-willed single woman, I would have never thought I would be the person I am today. So much of who I am today is because of him and who he is. Our conversations about God, life, people, and ministry have impacted and changed my own views on these areas. His way of seeing the world and the kingdom of God have made me want to be a part of that vision more than anything else. I love that my husband has committed himself to a life of ministry, even though it can be challenging, draining, and discouraging. I love my husband more and more every day. He teaches me things. He shows me love and compassion and forgiveness. He keeps no track of wrongs. He is loyal, and he is oh so very smart. I adore my husband. And he’s just so doggone good-looking.

2. I LOVE my daughter Elizabeth. Sweet, independent, stubborn Elizabeth. So like me and so like Shane. She tells me she loves me over and over throughout the day—verbally and by showing me the sign. She has a mind of her own, and even when I try to re-direct her, she usually wins (not because I’m not being stubborn with her either!). And I love that about her. She loves to play. She loves her babies—fake and real (Peyton). I love listening to her sing: “I love my Peyton Poe. I love my Peyton Poe. I love my P-E-Y-T-O-N-P-O-E.” Clap. Clap. Clap. I love how she loves church and people and having people over. I love her hugs and kisses and how excited she gets when we get excited. I love how she treats animals, especially our new puppy Shiloh. I adore her eyes and her smile.

3. I LOVE my son Peyton. What a joy Peyton has brought to our lives. He is so sweet and kind. He’s happy ALL THE TIME (except when he’s hungry or when his big sister is tackling him, but who can blame him?). I love how smart he is in figuring things out and making sense of his surroundings. I love how he loves me. I love how his eyes fixate on mine whenever I walk into the room and how he wants to come to me above all other people in this world (sorry, Honey, but you know it’s true!). I love how he flirts with anyone and everyone and how he’s always ready to flash a smile.

4. I LOVE living a life in ministry. It’s hard, but I love it. I don’t want to be doing anything else but loving God, loving people, and living a life formed by the Cross. I love that I get to do ministry with my husband and am so glad the Lord placed me alongside someone who has such a clear picture of what we are doing.

5. I LOVE my sisters. Kim and Kellee are very special to me. They are mature, godly women who teach me so much through their words and actions. They are women whom I look up to and admire and strive to be more like.

6. I LOVE my job. I love teaching students—not just about my subject but about the world as well and how they can use writing to impact and affect the world. I also love researching and creating new knowledge. I LOVE it!

7. I LOVE my parents. My mom and dad are examples to me of sacrifice, love, and forgiveness. They will never know how much they mean to me. I also love my in-laws and how they have welcome me into their fold from the beginning. Both sets of parents are examples of what it means to be godly people seeking to live more like Jesus. And I love how much they love my children. What a blessing.

8. I LOVE the evenings. After both kids are in bed and Shane and I can spend time by ourselves. I love this time of day most of all.

9. I LOVE that Jesus came to this earth and showed us how to have life more abundantly. I love that I'm journeying towards that life.

Although today is Valentine’s Day, I hope I show the love of Christ to those around me throughout each and every day. All the year around.

5 comments:

Shane Alexander said...

I love that I am married to the woman who wrote such thoughtfully sweet things about the things that she loves. I love that you love all of those things and I love them too, but I especially love you.

Kellee said...

I love you too, sister!! I'm glad you've ended your blog hiatus :) I'm so thankful my sisters are my best friends. Hope you guys had a great day!

Karen Alexander said...

I love Kara, my daughter-in-love. I love to hear her infectuous laugh; I love to see her take on Shane (at times when no one else would dare attempt it); I love to watch the two of them together; I love the way she mothers my grandchildren; I love her brilliant mind and her quick wit--the way she can zing Barry when he is teasing her; I love her thoughtful, earnest spirit and her compassion; I love the way she can so easily minister to others in her neighborhood and make it seem effortless, and I love the fact that God has made us related.

Clinica Psicologia Lisboa said...

you are an inspiration to all of us

James said...

I found your blog randomly, and though we seem to live very different lives, I was really moved by your professions of love. We should all take stock so gratefully.