Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Rome: A few other interesting pictures

I haven't really posted yet about the Italian culture and other things, so this post is going to be dedicated to that, along with a few pictures of our visit to the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain.

Here are some observations I had:
1. When you order a pizza at a restaurant, bring your own pizza cutter. Italians don't cut their pizzas into slices. Most people eat it with a fork and knife.

2. There are more tourists in Italy than anywhere else I have seen in my entire life.

3. Toilets in Italy are different from ours in two ways: most of them do not have a toilet lid, like the one pictured below, and there are two "flushes," one big and one small. I think you can figure out when you are supposed to use each flush!


4. There are a lot of modes of transportation in Italy: train, foot, car, subway, bicycle. But the most popular one, by far, is the scooter. You have to watch out for the scooters, too, because they weave in and out and don't really pay too much attention to pedestrians. Florence was the scariest place with the scooter-drivers.

5. Air conditioning in Italy is not at all what we think of here. In most places, it's actually cooler outside than inside!!

6. Most people drink water "with gas" in Italy, rather than regular old bottled water like I drink.

7. Whenever I had difficulty speaking to an Italian in English, I would speak to them in Spanish instead, and we would have a rather pleasant conversation. I guess Spanish and Italian are so closely related that they could understand it and speak it easier than English, which we all know is a very crazy language full of all sorts of grammatical exceptions!

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure there are others, and I'll post them when I remember them!

Here we are in front of the Trevi Fountain. It's a terrible picture (we are virtually white, and you can barely see the fountain), but when you ask others to take a picture for you, you have to know that you may not get much!!
Here's a better picture of the fountain. Once again, there were soooo many people at the fountain. Most people were sitting around eating gelato and listening to the water.


Here's a pretty courtyard we found just outside a church.
This is Bernini's elephant sculpture. I find this picture quite humorous because there I am at the very bottom of the stature. Did you even notice I was there?!!
Shane with St. Peter's in the background.

I had to get a picture in front of the famous Spanish Steps.

7 comments:

Chesley said...

You guys took some beautiful pictures! I have been patiently waiting to see your trip. The pizza below looks yummy! Glad you made it home safe and had a good time.

Anita said...

You have done such a great job detailing your trip! What an awesome experience. I love to see how people do the things that we think are so normal. Like slicing your pizza.

Kim said...

Great pictures. It is amazing to look at all the architecture. That pizza does look good!!

Laura Scott said...

What a fun trip. Sooo many pictures! I love the picture of you on the spanish steps. You look like you are having the time of your life and everyone behind you is sooo bored. Ha! What's wrong with those people!

Laura Scott said...

I was thinking about all your fun pictures again and had a funny memory. Weren't you the one who always had her camera and took tons of pictures of everything? If I remember correctly when I lived in Houston anytime the church group did something we knew you would get pictures of it? Just a memory I had of you. Hope it was you....if it wasn't maybe you can remind me of who it was :)

Kellee said...

Such great pictures and I like all your fun facts about the culture...I learned a few things! It looks like you two had a great time together and Shane is cracking me up with some of his facial expressions in the pics.

Beth said...

Your list made me laugh--it is so true! I especially remember the tourists, the weird bathrooms, the air conditioning (lack of air conditioning) and water with "gas" from my trip to Italy. I'm glad you had a great time!